Digital video has become an indispensable tool for remote surveillance applications; wireless technology has enabled video surveillance to be deployed across wide areas without the costs associated with physical connectivity. Municipalities, public safety organizations and transportation agencies rely heavily on real-time video monitoring for security, traffic management and emergency operations.
Video surveillance networks can span hundreds of square miles and use hundreds of networked video cameras. It is, thus, essential for the wireless network supporting these cameras — the backhaul network in particular — to have sufficient capacity and lowest latency to carry the aggregated camera traffic to the various video surveillance centers and monitoring agencies.
Capacity needs can add up fast, as high quality video cameras can each generate 0.5 - 3 Mbps of traffic, depending on image resolution, frame rate, video compression type, number of monitoring and recording hours, and whether cameras operate continuously or are event driven. The backhaul capacity needed to transport traffic from 10 locations with 5 cameras each to a monitoring control center could be as much as 150 Mbps of unidirectional traffic.
The Exalt microwave radio portfolio, including ExtendAir® and ExploreAir™, features a wide range of models and capabilities designed to meet the backhual requirements of video surveillance applications of every type:
- A complete line of 4.9 GHz systems, including all-indoor and all-outdoor versions, featuring the highest capacity system available in the band;
- All-outdoor models featuring three Ethernet ports and designed to be directly connected to IP cameras;
- Systems in every band support 99.999% guaranteed throughput, ensuring that the backhaul network will never be a weak link in the transport of surveillance traffic;
- Aggregate capacities ranging from 25 Mbps to 2 Gbps provide the right amount of capacity for the application with built-in scalability as traffic grows;
- The ability to support asymmetric throughput up to 80:20 allows most of the available bandwidth to be used for the high demand uplink, optimizing bandwidth efficiency;
- ExaltSync™ technology allows collocation of multiple 2.4, 4.9 or 5 GHz radios at the same site using the same channel, simplifying deployment at aggregation sites and facilitating inter-agency channel coordination on 4.9 GHz;
- FIPS 197-compliant AES encryption secures video traffic with the highest encryption capability available.